Friday, August 16, 2019

Voices of Courage

The feeling is familiar. I can only describe it as a surge of energy pulsing through my veins accompanied by a quickening that can only be compared to expectancy. Equal doses of fear and anxiety - a mixture that is more exciting than scary.  On the precipice -  it is the beginning.  It is the unknown and it is certain - both.
Absolute. Driven. Determined. Important.
At this stage of my career in educational theatre, it is the only thing that matters to me.
Urgent. Necessary. It feels like the only thing I can do and must do because I can.
Theatre on Purpose.
For the next few months, I will be collaborating with students on devising an original piece of theatre focused on the theme of courage.  Why? Because I believe theatre can make a difference. I believe theatre can change the world. I believe theatre can inspire. I believe theatre is essential. I want my students to know that. I want them to have a voice. I want them to be empowered.
Our world needs to hear what they have to say.
They are coming of age in difficult times. I want them to know what it feels like to use their creative gifts and talents for positive change.  I want them to know what courage is, where it comes from and what it looks like. I want them to find their own personal courage.
We will look for examples of courage in our daily lives and throughout history.
Together, we will summon creative courage through collaboration and community to instill and inspire hope.
I will document our process and reflect on the experience of devising an original piece of theatre from beginning to end in weekly blog posts in the hope of inspiring other Theatre on Purpose practitioners.

Definitions of courage:
Merriam -Webster:  noun
mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear or difficulty

Oxford: noun
The ability to do something that frightens one; bravery

Original definition: The root of the word courage is cor - the Latin word for heart. In one of its earliest forms, the word courage meant "To speak one's mind by telling one's heart." 

Onward....







No comments:

Post a Comment